Welcome to the 289th edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here's the big news this past week:
- Microsoft brings a Forza game to phone later in 2019. He announced the game earlier this week. The game, Forza Street, should be fairly standard for a mobile racer. There is a single player with a story line as well as online multiplayer. It is aimed at comfortable gamers. Click on the link to learn more!
- The Google Play store this week has some great news reports. The first is simultaneous article downloads. It was a feature in previous days of Android. It looks like it's coming back. With the faster data speeds of 2019, it needs to make faster updates. The second part of the news is a promise from Google. They want to make faster and more detailed Play Store decisions for developers. It's a good one for the devs.
- Two programs were banned in several countries this week. India banned TikTok while Nepal banned PUBG Mobile. Indian courts felt the program was dangerous for children. Meanwhile, Nepal says the video game makes people aggressive. India has asked Google Play and the Apple App Store to remove the program to prevent more downloads. Nepal says video games cause aggression. They are both fairly volatile situations. Click the link for more details.
- Facebook has finally made good news this week. Facebook Messenger may move back to the regular Facebook application. We at Android Authority almost unanimously believe that this is a good idea. There is evidence in the program's code to support the rumor. It may not have the full features of the actual Messenger program, but even accessing the messages is enough for most people.
- Google and Amazon can finally bury the greenhouse at a year-long mini rivalry. Google has agreed to return YouTube to Fire TV devices and Amazon has agreed to bring Prime Video to the Chromecast. There is not much else needed. We are all so happy.
PGA Tour Golf Shootout is a casual style golf game for mobile phones. It reminds me of the old arcade golf games. You shoot the ball and try to get holes in one. The game features daily and weekly challenges, tons of booty, upgradeable equipment, an online PvP mode and some decent graphics. The mechanics are super easy and no-one may have trouble playing the game. It's a freemium game like most casual mobile games. However, apart from some early mistakes, people seem to like it.
Zoho Show is a rare new presentation program. It allows users to prepare and run listings similar to something like Google Slides or Microsoft PowerPoint. The app comes with a lot of themes, styles and disk transitions. Interestingly, it also supports PowerPoint files. You get the usual variety of modern features like cloud support, team collaboration, and wear compatibility. It's also completely free.
Cartoon Network Arcade is an arcade game of, well, Cartoon Network! Independence is aside, this one is very nice. The game has a ton of free mini-games with a lot of different mechanics. In addition, players can collect new characters as they watch the programs they keep on the real network. It's a neat, small TV band in the foreground, but not the first time we've seen such a thing. The game is completely free with advertising. We think Cartoon Network makes money back from advertising revenue from the programs you need to look to collect all the characters.
Waymo is a self-driving vehicle sharing service. It works like any other service. You order a car, it picks you up, and then drops it off at your destination. However, these cars have no people in them. The service is currently in beta and it is only available in the Phoenix, Arizona area. However, there is another waiting list before you can arrive. As you can imagine, we haven't played with this one yet, so we don't know if the program still has problems. Keep it on your radar already!
Metal Slug is an older game series from the 1990s. It's a run-and-shoot style of action game and previous mobile games were tower defense games. This one is an empty game. This means that you play a very minimal role in the game. You set your characters, weapons, etc. and the characters move through the levels on their own. It also has RPG elements. The match had some serious Friday day issues, but most of them now look resolved.
If we missed any great Android apps or Android game news, please tell us in the comments! You can Click here to see our latest podcasts!